2013 Beyond the Gates: Preparing for Life and Work after Sewanee
Students who participate have the chance to network with helpful alumni and parents and to learn about
- various careers and career paths
- how to begin and conduct a job search
- helpful tips on interviewing and the opportunity for a practice interview
- resumes and cover letters with the opportunity for a critique
- what it's like to live and work in various cities from those who are there
- personal finance and budgeting
- business dining etiquette and networking techniques
- succeeding in the first year on the job
Please register via TigerNet before November 15, 2012; now in its ninth year, the event is often full prior to the registration deadline. Register early to be assured a spot! Successful registration also involves approval of an up-to-date resume by Career & Leadership Development staff, uploading your resume on TigerNet, updating your TigerNet profile to reflect your actual, current career interests, completing the StrengthsQuest assessment, and completing the Statement of Understanding and registering with Residential Life to return early to your room. Until these steps are complete, you will not be considered a registered participant.
Students who attended in 2012 said:
"I couldn't have imagined a better weekend. This was a fantastic opportunity to not only learn new skills, but to meet alums who may help me in the future."
"I learned about the logistics of life after college. I also learned that the field I'm entering is the field I want to enter. The alumni I met who are involved in it were so nice!"
"I learned more about careers that interest me, and most important, to relax a little about post-grad plans because many successful people change their careers."
"The most beneficial information for me was the insight I gained about the medical school interview process."
"Sewanee alumni really do want to help you!"