An internship is an arrangement to gain experience in a particular field or job function under the guidance of an supervisor or sponsor.The learning that occurs and the experience that is gained usually benefits the student participating in the internship more than it benefits the sponsor. Sewanee considers internships to be a valuable and integral part of a field of study.
Sewanee students are very fortunate to be able to apply for a portion of the $400,000 available in funding for otherwise-unpaid internships. Around 225 students received funding from Sewanee for the summer of 2014 to do internships in the United States and abroad.
ACE* internships AND on-campus research assistantship applications (not for funding): February 15
Internship FUNDING deadline (for unpaid internships): April 1 (for all other internships)
On-campus Summer Jobs (Sewanee HR jobs): April 1 (apply on TigerNet)
*ACE internships are any internships that are for Sewanee students only; they can be paid or unpaid
Here is a list of the steps to finding an internship this summer, along with a suggested timeline:
1. Get your resume in great shape. (Dec. 15-Jan.30)
2. Choose what occupation you want to “test drive” this summer. (Dec. 15-Jan. 30)
3. Research and find internship opportunities. (Dec. 15-Jan. 30)
4. Write your cover letters. (Jan. 15-Feb. 15)
5. Create your list of references. (Jan. 15-Feb. 15)
6. Apply for around 6-10 internships...and have a good backup plan. (Feb. 1-Mar. 1; ACE deadline is Feb. 16)
7. Prepare for your interviews. (Feb. 15)
8. Get an internship offer. (Feb.-Mar.)
Need help? We are ready to offer our assistance to you every step of the way! Many opportunities are available to get the help you need. Make an appointment with a Career & Leadership Development advisor by calling Career & Leadership Development at x 1121 or emailing us at email@example.com/. We are here to help!
To post an internship for a Sewanee student, please complete this form.