Here are a few online assessments that can help draw out information about yourself and your career interests:
- My Next Move: This 60-question free online assessment can be very helpful by suggesting some occupations that you’ve never considered before. Be sure to research the suggestions by clicking on each occupation: you will be rewarded with all kinds of information about it, including the major tasks of the job, the average annual salary, the projected job growth, and whether or not you will need to go to grad school to do it.
- Internship Predictor: This free online assessment is provided by Internships.com and suggests internships that you may want to explore.
- MBTI (Myers Briggs Type Indicator): This free online assessment is helpful so that you are aware of your personality preferences. You want to be able to find a job that is a naturally good fit for your personality, so knowing your preferences is important. So find out if being around people or being alone gives you energy, or having structure or flexibility is critical to you; you will make a better choice once you know this about yourself. Once you find your type (like “ISTJ”), do a web search for more information about that type, including careers you may want to consider.
- Choose Your Career Quiz: The Princeton Review sponsors this free 5-minute online quiz. At the end, it provides a list of careers for you to consider.
- Career Finder: InsideJobs.com provides this listing of occupations based on your preferences.
- CliftonStrengths (formerly StrengthsQuest or StrengthsFinder): This assessment pinpoints your top five natural areas of excellence that you ALREADY have. It gives you a focus for how to convey to others (like employers and internship sponsors) what you have to offer to them. It is also great to highlight in your resume how you have used each of your Strengths to get results, make a difference, or accomplish something. To get a prepaid code to take this assessment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and request one.
How Do I?