Writing Your Personal Statement
Your personal statement is an integral part of your application and provides the opportunity to present yourself and the skills, qualities and experiences you will bring to the program. It reflects both your intellectual ability and your personality and is well worth every minute you spend in writing and editing it. We are happy to read your early drafts, and we encourage you to share it with the faculty members who write your letters of recommendation before you consider it a finished product. Be sure to check the calendar for the personal statement writing workshop held each September.
Resources for writing your personal statement
- Writing the Personal Statement, Purdue University Online Writing Lab
- All About the Graduate Admissions Essay, About.com
- Graduate School Essays, The Writing Center at Rensselaer
- Graduate School Statement, UC Berkeley Career Center
- Key Attributes for Graduate School Success, Educational Testing Service
Graduate School Admission Essays, by Donald Asher, is available in the Career and Leadership Development library. We also offer a personal statement writing workshop annually in September that is led by Mr. Asher.